WOOD ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE

Biddeford Pool

GPS Coordinates: Latitude: 43.4569°  Longitude: -70.3291° 

Authorized by President Thomas Jefferson in 1808, Wood Island Lighthouse is named for the uninhabited island it stands on at the mouth of the Saco River. Originally built of rubble-stone, it has since been replaced with granite blocks. The lighthouse with its white light beaming 71 feet above the ocean, can be seen from the East Point Audubon Sanctuary walking trail in Biddeford Pool. Summer tours by boat are also offered by the Friends of Wood Island Lighthouse leaving from Vine’s Landing.