The season of love is upon us! While we know there’s plenty to love in the Southern Maine Beaches region all year long, the winter season graces us with unique opportunities and experiences that can’t be missed.
Whether you’re in search of snow-covered New England views, warm hearty meals, savory sweet treats, or cozy accommodations, you and your loved ones are sure to find all of this and more in the Maine Beaches Region! Take advantage of this quiet season, and Kennebunkport’s February ‘Paint the Town Red’ event to breathe in the crisp air and visit your favorite sites without the crowds. You’re sure to make a lifetime of memories that only a winter visit can provide. Come see all there is to love!
Here are 6 ways to feel the love in the Maine Beaches Region
- Shop for unique Maine gifts – From Kittery to The Berwicks to Old Orchard Beach, each of the region’s beloved towns offers a traditional New England backdrop for your shopping pleasure. Explore these winter scenes while searching for the perfect gifts for your loved ones in the quaint downtowns of the Maine Beaches region.
Check out Bell Farm Shops in York for everything from books to birdfeeders. Or head to The Shops at Cape Neddick in Cape Neddick for home décor and more after viewing the Cape Neddick Lighthouse draped in snow. You might also visit Elms Center Gifts in Wells or Whimsical ME in Saco where you will find New England treasures including art, clothing, and even gifts for your favorite pets.
If you’re on the hunt for jewelry for your loved ones, visit Stonehome Estate Jewelers in Ogunquit or Swamp Johns Jewelry in Perkins Cove in Ogunquit which has been in business for 50 years! For jewelry designs that exemplify the simplicity and elegance of Maine’s unique beauty, check out Biddeford-based Amy Rose Handcrafted Maine Jewelry online.
Pick up a fresh bouquet of fragrant flowers, at York Flower Shop in York or Fleurant in Kennebunk to show your love with colorful, fragrant flowers. If handmade gifts are more your style, pour your love into making a candle at Sea Love Candles & Company in Kennebunkport or visit The Maine Quilt Place in York where you’ll find a range of heartfelt projects to suit all different skill levels.
- Relax and restore – After you’ve explored the area’s shops, wind down and get pampered at one of the region’s many spas. You might even opt for relaxing yoga at a yoga studio or an invigorating workout at a fitness studio in one of our towns.
- Dine on a hearty meal – After the pampering is complete and you’re all relaxed and refreshed, head out for an intimate dining experience in one of the private fish houses at Batson River Brewing & Distilling in Kennebunk. For a quiet retreat in the woods, Earth at Hidden Pond in Kennebunkport offers a romantic experience like no other. Or venture out to The Front Porch in Ogunquit and sing along to the piano music if you’re up for something livelier.
Hungry for a warm hearty bowl of chowder? Visit Billy’s Chowder House in Wells to satisfy your cravings. Want some traditional Maine lobster? Sea Salt Lobster in Saco offers a modern take on a Maine lobster shack with plenty of can’t miss seafood items. You and your loved ones are sure to relish every bite of these New England indulgences!
If you prefer breakfast or lunch out instead, visit Mel’s Raspberry Patch in Sanford or Springvale. Or keep it simple with an authentic wood-fired pizza plus craft beers from the region at All American Woodfired Pizza in Sanford.
- Savor something sweet – A visit to the Maine Beaches region is not complete without savoring some of the area’s many sweet treats. Enjoy a Famous Ocean Park Cinnamon Bun from Café 64 in Old Orchard Beach or fresh chocolates from Harbor Candy/H&M Crumpets in Ogunquit. For a twist on Maine’s notable whoopie pie, pick up an order of whoopie pie balls from Auntie’s House in Kennebunk-you’ll love them! And if you prefer your sweet treats in a glass, visit Coastal Wine in Ogunquit to pick up your favorite bottle of wine or prosecco.
- Breathe in the crisp winter air – While Maine might have a reputation for being home to blizzards and nor’easters, the winter season is filled with plenty of sunny days perfect for breathing in the crisp air and enjoying the outdoors. Take your adventure outside to Harris Farm in Dayton for cross-country skiing or snap on snowshoes and head out for a winter walk along one of the region’s many trails.
- Snuggle into cozy accommodations – When the day is done, you will find a variety of options to snuggle in for the night-from hotels to bed and breakfasts. There are a variety of options to choose from at the region’s many accommodations inland or along the coast.
There’s so much to love in the winter in the Maine Beaches region! We look forward to welcoming you as you explore our quaint towns, take in the iconic, snow covered views, and savor all the goodness that makes the Maine Beaches region so lovable!
Bio: Lisa Luken, ACC, of Simple Joy Living, LLC, is a storyteller, researcher, and strategist. She believes in choosing experiences over things and loves helping others slow down and savor the simple joys in life. She enjoys exploring simple places in the world but always loves coming home to Maine. Visit Lisa on Instagram at @SimpleJoyLiving.