The Maine Beaches Region is alive during the holiday season
The Maine Beaches region hosts holiday events that capture the essence of New England during the festive season. Coastal towns are adorned with lights, carolers sing by the sea, and visitors can enjoy treats from local shops and bakeries. The region features tree lighting ceremonies, craft fairs, and Santa Claus visits. Whether in Ogunquit or Kennebunkport, the Maine Beaches offer a unique blend of holiday cheer and coastal calm, making for a memorable seasonal experience.
- York Fall Market – November 18 & 25, December 2, 9, & 16 – https://business.gatewaytomaine.org/events/details/2023-york-fall-market-37884
- 1st Annual Lighting of the Anchorage – November 25 – https://business.gatewaytomaine.org/events/details/1st-annual-lighting-of-the-anchorage-38358
- Christmas by the Sea – December 8-10 – https://www.ogunquit.org/christmas-by-the-sea/
- 38th Annual Wells Christmas Parade – December 10 – https://wellschristmasparade.com/
- Kennebunkport Christmas Prelude – November 30 – December 10 – https://christmasprelude.com/
- Biddeford’s Downtown Holiday Festival – December 1 – https://heartofbiddeford.org/downtown-events/
- Saco Holiday Tree Lighting – December 1
- Elf The Musical – December 1, 2, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, & 17 – https://www.citytheater.org/
- Festival of Lights and Parade of Lights – December 9 – https://sacomainstreet.wixsite.com/holidayfestival
Old Orchard Beach
- Celebration by the Sea – December 3 – https://web.oldorchardbeachmaine.com/events/Celebrationby%20the%20Sea%202023-19352/details
Summer begins in the Kennebunks with the annual maritime excitement of Launch! Indulge your inner Francophile at La Kermesse in Biddeford. June is like a summery amuse-bouche that sets the stage for an unforgettable cast of warm-weather events.
As summer heats up, Main Streets come alive with parades of brightly colored floats spouting confetti and lively music. Cheering them on are crowds of visitors and locals alike. Celebrate our nation’s independence with an explosion of brilliant color and sound filling the night sky over nearly every town along our sandy coastline and inland lakes.
We would like to suggest some of the region’s one-of-a-kind summertime events that you should not miss: BonAire! A Celebration of Ogunquit showcasing a variety of visual and musical artists in a festive atmosphere; the annual Wells Chili Fest an International Chili Society sanctioned event; the Summer Lighting of the Nubble in Cape Neddick, and then Illumination Night in OOB.
In August, Sanford On Tap returns to The Runaway at Sanford Airport—where visitors can enjoy a variety of live music, comedy, and entertainment in the outdoor pavilion all summer long.
Whether it’s just the two of you or the whole crew along, the weather during September and October in The Maine Beaches is beyond compare. Along with that spectacular weather and foliage, the region’s autumn calendar of events gets filled with countless delightful and memorable days.
Peep the brilliantly colored classic rides at the very popular Annual Car Show in OOB or head to Ogunquit to watch as Plein Air artists capture oceanside beauty in this former artist’s colony. Later in the Fall as the leaves drop and things cool down, come back for the many Harvest Festivals in York, Kennebunk, Ogunquit and Saco.
Once the weather turns chilly and the first snow flies, it seems as if Summer and Fall might have been simply a prelude to the Holidays in The Maine Beaches. Music fills streets draped in evergreens and twinkling lights making our towns and villages feel all warm and cozy.
Honestly, there are too many holiday events to mention them all here. If you haven’t visited before, consider planning a getaway during one of the seasonal classics, including Kennebunkport’s Christmas Prelude, the Lighting of the Nubble, or Ogunquit’s Christmas by the Sea.