In 1808, President Thomas Jefferson authorized the construction of Wood Island Lighthouse. Named for the island it stands on, the light sits at the mouth of the Saco River. Initially built of wood, granite block replaced the rotting structure in 1839.
Wood Island is Maine’s second-oldest lighthouse. Today its white light continues to beam 71 feet above the ocean.
View the light from the East Point Audubon Sanctuary walking trail in Biddeford Pool. Or take a summer boat tour leaving from Vine’s Landing.
GPS Coordinates: Latitude: 43.4569° Longitude: -70.3291°